Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Christmas Letter 2015

December 3, 2015
HO, Ho, ho, Merry Christmas to all my friends, real and imagined.
Yet again, another year has gone by ever so quickly. So many things were suppose to be done, but weren't. Just never quite got in the mood. Didn't fix the rock wall, the steps, and the sidewalk. Forget about painting the house. Still got those boxes of laminate flooring for the hallway sitting in the same spot for four years now. In my defense, I haven't decided whether to restore the woodwork in the hallway before putting down new flooring. Oh well, best not to worry about that now. I give some thought tomorrow, or the next day, when I have more time.


We are happy to have welcomed a new addition to the family this summer with the marriage of Alyssa to our Steven. We wish them all the happiness. Steven is currently serving in the Marine Corp. His brother John is now an Asst. Manager at Walgreens, and their sister Martha Graduated last spring from Purdue. Both Gretchen and daughter Martha have undergone surgeries at NIH in Maryland to remove some of the tumors caused by their NF2. Keep them in your thoughts as they continue their battles with this disease.


We also welcome another addition to our family with the arrival of Molly.Just when I thought, we'd never get another dog. She's now about four months old. Plays fetch, knows how to sit, and understands "get in bed." Typical female, a real pain in the butt. Wants what she wants, when she wants it. Sasses you back if you tell her no. Doesn't know how to shut up. A brat if there ever was one. Loose a sock? She probably took it. Loose a shoe? She has it. Can't find your keys? You guessed it. Have papers you want shredded? No need to buy an expensive machine. Need your mail opened? She can handle that too, might be soggy to read, but it is opened. She has a few favorite toys too. An empty Kleenex box with a string on it that she likes to race around the house with. She also has an empty Clorox bottle, with string, that she swings around in a circle and makes it roll. Plus an assortment of balls, knotted socks, and a very small teddy bear. She's also part cat, as she likes to climb up on your shoulders and lay behind your neck like a collar (warm and soothing, when your neck aches). (Dang dog wants out again) You know when the kids were two (four mos. In dog years), you could pop a video in the VCR and they would be occupied for a couple hours. I need a doggy video. I also need a doggy diaper, probably would not be any good a changing those either. (Darn it dog, I'm not gonna hold you while I type) Jeeze, give me a break.  Okay, enough about the stupid dog already.
.
It has been another busy year.  Indiana Donor Network has managed to keep me out of trouble and Cindy has been busy making her crocheted kitchen towels. Sales increase every year. The weather cooperated, after a wet spring, we were able to use the pool. Last year I think I only swam once. This year not only did I get wet, but the little tykes next door came over too. Fun for all. No vacation this year, just two days at Ludington Michigan was all. I swear they have the best beach.

I guess when I was young; time didn't mean that much except, how many hours could I work to boost my paycheck. And, time could not pass quick enough until the next holiday, and a day off work. And remember how we could not wait until we turned sixteen, and got our license.  I remember the first night I got my license…put 100 miles on Dad's car, and never left Markle. Those were the days, those were the days…  (By the way, Justin and Chase, both sophomores, turned 16 and will start driving soon.) And, we just could not wait to graduate school, or turn twenty-one. Then how we put off being forty, much less fifty and ohoo the dreaded midlife crisis. (Never understood that anyway, guess I did not have time for one). Now here I am, retired (HA). Suppose to slow down, take your time, and enjoy life. Funny thing…the clock seems to move just the same. I guess my point is, I should have savored every minute more as they went by. "If I only had more time…" That is what we tell ourselves. And now, with this dog around, I'll never have enough time to do anything.

Kids all seem fine and the Grandkids are getting older. Holly is a freshman; Chloe is in middle school, and a serious minded softball player (catcher). She made the winning catch and her team won the City Championship. Cara is now 8, and quite artistic.  (What do you want now dog?) Lord, she has food, water, Kleenex box, the TV is tuned to Animal Planet (thought I'd try that)…but no, here she is, wanting picked up again?…  Nope she wanted out. I don't know why, she just sticks her nose into the wind and sits there watching cars go by. Twenty minutes wasted, well maybe not. I did have my smart phone with me and got in a couple games of solitaire, and checked Facebook. I can't leave her alone out there, the little fur ball will take off on an adventure to the neighbors to visit the kids. She followed the mailman next-door once, guess she thought it would be okay if an adult went with her. Ever try to catch a puppy? That little black devil can run fast, turn on a dime, and double back fast as a leaf in the wind. Who needs a home gym, just get a puppy.  I did figure out one way to catch her, corner her at the end of the porch. She has nowhere to run. Okay, where was I ??? Oh yeah, we've been healthy enough this year. No trips to the ER. Uncle Arthur seems to visit more often, but a couple Advil and we're good to go. Molly wants out again. If we're going to be out there a while, I have to go to the bathroom first. Older people evidently "go" as often as puppies. Seems I'm not allowed to pee on the porch, or in the grass, like you Molly does.  The neighbors complain if I do. Darn finicky neighbors.


                                                        Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,  Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment